- Hawton, K., Casañas i Comabella, C., Haw, C. and Saunders, K. (2013). Risk factors for suicide in individuals with depression: A systematic review. Journal of Affective Disorders, 147, 17-28. This is a review of 19 studies worldwide in which risk factors have been examined.
- Office for National Statistics: Suicides in the United Kingdom, 2012 Registrations .
- National Office for Suicide Prevention, Ireland
- Lönnqvist, J. (2000). Psychiatric aspects of suicidal behavior: depression. In: Hawton, K., and van Heeringen, K. (2000). The International Handbook of Suicide and Attempted Suicide. New York: Wiley.
- Pirkis, J. Burgess, P. (1998). Suicide and recency of health care contacts. A systematic review. British Journal of Psychiatry, 173, 462-474.
- Five-year report of the National Confidential Inquiry into Suicide and Homicide by People with Mental Illness (2006) - pdf
- Adapted with permission from: Hawton, K., Saunders, K. E. A. and O’Connor, R. C. (2012). Self-harm and suicide in adolescents. Lancet, 379, 2373-2382.
- General Medical Council confidentiality guidance (2009)
- Mental Capacity Act (2005)
This guide was developed at the Centre for Suicide Research at the University of Oxford by Professor Keith Hawton, Carolina Casañas i Comabella, Dr Kate Saunders and Dr Camilla Haw, with the following general practitioners: Dr Kate Smith, Dr Deborah Waller and Dr Ruth Wilson, and with the assistance of several other clinicians with a range of professional backgrounds. It has been funded by the Judi Meadows Memorial Fund and Maudsley Charity.